Hello lovelies! Is it just me, or is the weather getting chillier and chillier as of late? Layering clothes is a must in the cold seasons, but layering nail art techniques to add color, depth and dimension to your nails is also a must try this season. This look may seem time consuming and difficult, but it’s not! You can even do your chores or whatever else you need to get done while your nail designs are drying on parchment paper! I’ve included step by step instructions for this technique below the picture.
You will need: Two base colors (quick dry polishes would be ideal) and crackle polish. I used NYC’s “Tudor City Teal” and “Uptown” as my base colors and black crackle polish by China Glaze from Sally Beauty Supply.
What to do:
1. Lay down a strip of parchment paper and weigh it down with extra polish bottles or whatever is handy for you.
2. Take a cosmetic sponge and cut it in half so that you have a surface of the sponge to work with that is the same width as your finger nails.
3. Apply about 2-3 coats of both base colors to the sponge in a half and half or striped design. You can switch it up by using the other half of the sponge for another design.
4. Dab the sponge on the parchment paper and lightly dab the colors together to blend slightly. Do this for ten decals reapplying polish to the sponges as needed. Wait thirty seconds and then dab another coat on. After applying 2-3 coats let it sit and dry. You’re free to do what you need! Come back to the decals in 10-15 minutes to ensure that they dry all the way through.
5. Once the decals are dry to the touch you can apply a thin layer of the crackle polish. *Dry to the touch meaning not mushy and doesn’t leave your fingerprint mark in it if you touch it.
6. Let dry for 10-15 minutes before peeling and applying.
To apply the decals you need a clear top coat that IS NOT a quick drying top coat. A regular shiny top coat will do for application. Simply apply a layer of clear coat to your nail and then apply the fresh decal to your nail. Gently tap the surface of the decal to smooth down onto your nail completely. Let the decal and clear coat sit in for about ten seconds before applying the final top coat. Let your nails dry completely before using a cotton swab dipped in polish remover to erase extra polish around the edges of your nails.