Alright ladies, I know we’ve all got them somewhere…maybe deep in our closets or under our beds…you either gotta get rid of them or find a way to make use of them…those old jeans that are collecting dust that is! In my case it was a pair of old jeans turned cutoff shorts that I found stuffed in the back of my closet. Go figure. Well I was about to toss them out when I remember this old trick my teacher taught me in my 9th grade sewing class. You take an old pair of jeans (or in my case shorts that are long enough), rip out the inseams and then reconstruct the pants into an adorable handcrafted denim skirt! You can even customize it with fabric markers, dyes and paints or even patches! The possibilities are virtually endless. I included the steps below.
1. Cut jeans to about knee length and then begin ripping out the threading on the inseams.
2. Cut/rip the threading of the inseams in the crotch area until under the zipper.
3. Arrange the denim so that the front flaps are overlapping.
4. Smooth the fabric down into place to make sure the placement is correct and even (you don’t want a lopsided skirt!)
5. Repeat for the back side of the skirt.
6. Arrange the flaps of denim on the back of the skirt and sew (you can use a thick heavy duty needle and regular thread for this if you don’t have sewing machine).
7. Use trimmings to fill the gap in the front of the skirt.
8. Sew the front of the skirt and decorate with patches or paint or however you see fit!